Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A teacher who changed my life.

I came across another article(this time an inspiring one) and I was moved. It was about a kid who was discovered to be totally deaf when he was three years old. He is Stephen J. Hopson from Michigan.

His parents decided to enroll him in a normal school (I remember Dick and Rick Hoyt, the father-and-son tandem who trekked 3,700+ miles across America despite the disability of Rick I strongly recommend watching that video in youtube.com entitled, "A Journey of Life Together"). When he was in grade 3, from almost the beginning of the school term, he was taunted (v. insulted) by his classmates. He began to feel inferior of himself and his capabilities.

His grade 5 teacher changed the way he looked at himself when she cried, "THAT'S RIGHT STEPHEN!" after he gave a correct answer. He became more confident and a better person.
You can click on the title of this post for the full article.

I suddenly remember one of my students who sent me an SMS last year that said, "Gudpm sir..muzta po..tnx po s mga tnuro nio sa amin..nga2mit q na po n0w.." it means, "Good afternoon sir, how are you. Thank you for what you've taught us. I find it useful."

I wasn't able to get his/her name though, but that message from my former student(+639105425*** is his/her number) is still in my inbox after almost 1 year(i got the message April 19, 2008).

Things like that makes me smile. With what i do everyday, for the past 6years, it has been a routinary task. But for some, what i do makes an impact in their lives. I never knew it will come to this point that I am helping shape the lives of others.

To my former student, whoever you are, THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again - taking you feeds also, Thanks.